Online clothing retailers and department stores offer a wide selection of graduation dresses for middle school girls. During this coming-of-age ceremony, your daughter will feel her best in the perfect middle school promotion dress.
Types of Middle School Graduation Dresses
Even though there are plenty of trendy graduation dresses for middle school girls, remember that this event will be photographed and cherished forever. Graduating students will also walk into the venue, sit for a long period, and walk across the stage, so comfort and flexibility are essential. Even the pickiest fashionistas will find a style to suit their tastes in modern and traditional prints and colors.
For young teens at graduation, a sheath dress is a basic staple. Straight and narrow cuts fit most body types and are age-appropriate. Dresses are normally right above the knee, which keeps this look youthful and fresh. Whether you want the formal look of all-over lace or the playful look of a bold print, you can find it in a sheath.
With most graduations taking place in June, summer dresses, also known as sun dresses, are a favorite among girls who love their floaty shape and floral prints. There are usually either wide straps or spaghetti straps on summer dresses. If you are planning to wear a graduation gown, this style often features ethereal fabrics that layer well.
Adding a glittery belt or choosing one with an embellished top can make skater dresses more formal. A full circle skirt and form-fitting top reminiscent of a figure skating outfit were designed with young teens in mind. The skater dress stands out as being ultra-comfy and girly with its short sleeves or half sleeves.
Young teens will probably think of singer Taylor Swift when they see an A-line dress, despite its perceived vintage or traditional vibe. A-line dresses are popular with the superstar because she is known as a fashionista. A dress like this typically has a fitted top and a skirt that flares out and widens at the hem.
Types of Long Middle School Graduation Dresses
Long graduation dresses keep you warm and make you look more formal if you are not wearing a graduation gown, your ceremony takes place at night, or you live in a colder climate.
In addition to being full length, maxi dresses are often made of comfortable materials in solids or bold prints. There are maxi dresses with long sleeves, racerbacks, and even strapless styles. It’s usually fitted at the top and a little loose at the bottom, but it keeps a narrow silhouette.
For a fully formal dress, choose a long evening gown. Its slim fit and glittery embellishments make it stand out from poofy formal dance dresses. A typical evening gown reaches the floor and has either short sleeves or wide straps.
A midi dress should hit you halfway down your calf. With these dresses, you have the casual comfort of a maxi dress but with more leg coverage and the opportunity to show off your cute shoes.
Finding Graduation Dresses for Tweens
The hemline of the outfit should not extend higher than an inch or two above the knee, and the chest should be adequately covered. A dress with a little more coverage is more comfortable and easier to wear during a ceremony, even if strapless dresses are optional. There is an enticing selection of graduation dresses available at the following fashion retailers:
- In spite of the store’s name, this shop is more popular among girls in their tweens and teens. There is a wide variety of styles and sizes available, including plus sizes up to 3X.
- At Kohl’s, you can find many junior dress styles at different price points that will appeal to parents, as well as dresses from celeb designers.
- There are even more graduation dresses available online at Macy’s than you can find in their flagship stores in large cities like New York and Los Angeles.
- Teen fashion is on the cutting edge thanks to H & M’s ultra-trendy and affordable clothing. Under $35, you can find almost any style of dress in tween and women’s sizes, with most falling below $20.
- Styles and designs inspired by streetwear are what rue21 is all about. At this stylish retailer, teens can find casual and formal dresses for under $15.
- Hollister – This brand is a favorite of middle schoolers because it has a lot of casual wear. For a graduation ceremony, Hollister has some wrap and ruffle dresses. For parents, this is an affordable and fashionable option ranging from $30 to $60.
- PacSun – PacSun sells California-style clothing designed for summer temperatures. There are several lightweight yet stylish dresses that would be perfect for an outdoor middle school graduation in warm weather.
- Although Lululemon is known for athletic wear, they also carry clothing and dresses for girls. Middle school graduation dresses tend to be casual, but they can still be appropriate. Sale prices are often available on girls dresses, which are priced between $60 and $75.
Tips for Putting a Graduation Outfit Together
It’s time to pull the look together with accessories and shoes after you’ve found your gown.
- Heels should not be higher than one inch to avoid tripping.
- You can pair a simple black pump with a sheath dress or ballet flats or gladiator-style sandals with a long gown to complete the look.
- Put on a pair of kitten heel pumps or ankle strap sandals in a complementary color if you’re wearing a sunny and cheerful summer dress.
- Adding a short blazer to your closet at the beginning of the school year is an in-style accessory that covers up arms.
- Graduation ensembles can be complemented with earrings that match bracelets and necklaces.
The Right Dress for Your Graduation
Middle school graduation is a time to celebrate who you are. To show off your best self at the ceremony, choose a dress that complements your body type and your personal style. You can’t go wrong if you follow your school’s graduation dress code.